So, like your sister, you decided to stay in my belly 4 days past your due date. I was starting to get nervous because the doctor was talking about inducing me, which I really did not want. I wanted you to come when you were ready. Then, April 30th I started having some pretty awful contractions at around 6 pm. I started to get excited! We were at dinner with your Grammy and Grandaddy, and we made a plan to get Madelyn over to their house after we went home and packed her bag. We left dinner, went home, and.... the contractions stopped.
You're a tricky little one.
I was so depressed. I had gotten so excited, and I was so ready to not be pregnant anymore. I just wanted you in my arms. Plus, you kicked SO HARD in my belly. You were seriously so strong.
Anyway. I was so down about the false labor. I went to bed completely convinced that I was going to have to be induced. Uggghhhhhh. The next morning your dad and sister and I woke up (Madelyn had slept with us) and lay in bed forever planning our day. I had totally given into the idea of being induced and didn't even consider that going into labor would happen. After a long time of laying around in bed, we decided to get going on a full day. Your dad grabbed Madelyn and walked towards the kitchen to make some breakfast, and I stood up and WHOA my water broke.
I squealed, "MY WATER BROKE MATT!" I was SOOOOOOOOOOO happy! I had always wanted my water to break. It doesn't happen to most women, and it didn't happen with Madelyn. Usually labor just starts with painful contractions, but I wanted that cute moment (before all the pain) when the mom and the dad excitedly rush to get everything ready. I didn't think I would ever get that moment, though, since it didn't happen with Madelyn. But you gave me that moment. It was the BEST. Your dad was hilarious. He was so excited, he could not focus. He actually asked where he kept his shoes at one point because he had forgotten. He rushed around like a mad man. I just laughed and calmly got ready for the hospital.
There we are. Your Grammy rushed from work to pick up Madelyn, and she took that picture before your dad and I left for the hospital. I get teary thinking about how cute that morning was.
So Grammy took Madelyn, and your dad and I went out for breakfast. We were so relaxed and excited, if that makes any sense. We went to the grocery store where your dad worked (well, technically he still works there but I doubt when you read this that he will still be there.) where he ran in and got me some strawberries and a bagel. I would have gone in too, but my water was steadily breaking still. I pretty much had water falling down my leg the entire day. It was awkward.
So we finally headed to the hospital. This is me when we first got there:
Still no pain so I was smiling :)
I won't get into all the details of the birth, but I will just say that while there were some very painful moments, it was the best labor I could have hoped for because it ended with you. You came out after only 7 minutes of pushing, which is SUPER fast. A little less than 12 hours after my water broke, I saw your face for the first time, which is pretty amazing considering Madelyn took 28 hours to make her appearance.
Here we are. You are fresh out of the oven in this picture. So beautiful. So sweet.
Madelyn meets you.
The next day, Madelyn holds you in the hospital.
Already making hilarious faces.
And then we bring you home.
And make you do stuff like this just to make us laugh.
And Madelyn helps take care of you...
And sisterly love is born.
I love you so much, Penelope. You don't understand how much I love you. You complete my life. Madelyn started my family, and you finished it. Thank you. You both are the reason I was born. You have changed everything for the better. You have made me a stronger woman and brought so much clarity to the chaos that was my life. Thank you.
I want to end this post with a reminder of how important your sister is in your life. You must take care of each other. What I love so much is even now, when you are only 1 month old, I can tell how different you two are in so many ways. From the pregnancy to the labor to the first month, you each had such distinct ways of doing things. It's amazing to witness and experience. Never forget that you are unique and important and loved for being you. Never try to compare yourself to your sister or anyone else, for that matter. You are you. That is all you can be. But also remember that no matter what, your sister is a friend for life who can understand you better than anyone. At least that's what I want for you two.
And, of course, I am always here for you. Always.
I love you, Penny.
-Mommy
PS. Sorry if the grammar is awkward in this post. I was writing this while the television was on because I was too lazy to find the remote to turn it off. Hey! Don't judge! It's hard work being a mom to a newborn and a 2 year old. Sometimes I gotta take a moment to be lazy!
Okay. That is all.









No comments:
Post a Comment