Friday, January 11, 2013

And so the life lessons really begin...

Well my newest little one,
      You are a girl! You probably have figured that out by now, but I just thought I would let you know. We are beyond happy! Madelyn will have a sister to grow up with, and you are so close in age! I hope you both really appreciate that and take advantage of what that means.
      What else is new? Well, I guess in this post I should tell you about what life looks like out here while you are growing in my belly. Right now, your daddy works at Whole Foods, which is a healthy fancy grocery store. He also goes to school full-time. So, he's unbelievably busy. He works crazy hard to provide for us, and I love him and appreciate him so much for it. I hope you will understand what all you dad has sacrificed and done for you and your sister and I. We should always show him great respect for that.
       As for me, I take care of your sister at home; I do a ton of laundry and boring stuff like that; I write a lot; And I am studying to become a teacher! Your crazy mommy has a love for writing and theatre and art, in general, and if I could I would just do those things all day, but the real world doesn't always go the way the fake world in your head goes. You gotta adapt and do what is right for your family, and of course, yourself. So I am very excited about teaching and very excited about pursuing my writing and art love as a hobby.
      By the way, I studied theatre in college and have been in many plays. I have done stand-up several times, although I am taking a break from it now (not sure if I'll do it again or not, to be honest) so that I can focus on building a baby (you) and focus on writing some since I know it will be hard for a while after you are born to find time to write.
        I reckon that is a good life lesson for this post. Let's do this! So, one day, when you are much much older, you will start to really seriously think about what you want to do with your life. You will try to pick a career and pick where you want to live and if you want kids and if you want to get married and all that big stuff. It will probably be very daunting at times. These sorts of decisions have been very challenging for me, so I understand. You may be lucky and just grow up knowing exactly what you want and know exactly how to get it, but probably, at least one of those big life choices will be kind of stressful and overwhelming to you. So, let me tell you what I have learned. If people don't believe in you or if something doesn't come easy for you or if you fail at times or if you get scared sometimes when you are pursuing a goal, do not give up. Do not let others sway you. Do not let struggle get you so down that you don't believe in yourself. Most things in this life that you are going to really want are going to involve some sort of sacrifice or difficulty. You may fail 100 times before you succeed. That's normal. It's okay.
      That being said, if you try and try and through all your trying, you decide you don't think it's worth it anymore. You find yourself miserable and not even sure if you want to do what you set out to do, that's okay too. You can quit. That doesn't make you a loser or a failure. It makes you a person. You will change your mind in life. That's okay. When you find yourself at a crossroads, asking yourself if you really want to pursue whatever goal any longer, just make sure you give yourself the time and space to make a thoughtful decision. Don't let fear and emotion completely make the decision for you. Give yourself time to think calmly and to think with your head and your heart. You will make the perfect decision for you. Always.
 

This sounds really corny. I'm sorry. It's so true though.


I believe in you. No matter what you want to do. If you want to be a clown or a dancer or a doctor or an accountant or own a business or whatever, I will support you. Unless you want to be a murderer... or a gangster... or a prostitute... then I may have some issues with that.


I love you, Penelope (that's your name ;)

-Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment